Module 2
Question 1
My clinical problem that I wanted to research was medications errors in hospitals. My choice of electronic index was to search through the University of Utah remote access on CINAHL. This search engine or site is specifically used for nursing and allied health professionals. I have used this search engine in the past and it has come up with some excellent peer reviewed articles. This search index facilitated my ability to construct an efficient search because I was able to narrow the search down to exactly what I was looking for and it also was articles related to nursing. The time issue for me was not very long. I have used this site in the past so I was familiar on how to search and narrow down the citations to exactly what I was looking for. This particular index would be hard to access from my place of employment because it is a paid subscription website. If I wanted to find out certain information regarding a patient or illness, I would be unable to access this from my workplace. This would be one of the barriers I would have.
Question 2
The software that I am using is called Endnote. This software allows me to search bibliographic databases and retrieve references directly into my software. I can also attach full articles. It can also import and export references as well as store, manage and search for bibliographic references and place them in my library. As I continue to add references into my software, it will continue to build a list of references and place them in my library. I can also organize charts and figures. The functionality of this software is that I am able to create groups for my references to be placed in allowing me to retrieve them easily. This software, once familiar with it, allows me "to never leave home without it". I had to say that! I was introduced to this software while obtaining my BSN and it has been a lifesaver! You will never have to build a bibliography if you use this software.
Question 3
Electronic index can be very helpful if you know what you are doing and where you are searching. If you wanted to find information on tornadoes, you would not search the electronic index in a medical search engine. If you are aware of the different electronic indexes and search according to your information, then it should be simple. On the other hand, if you are not searching the right areas, it will be a lot more time consuming having to sort through the unneeded information. Guideline indexes are wonderful, if you are familiar with how to use them. Endnote takes some time to familiarize yourself with it and sometimes you have to edit the format but once you are, familiarize with it, it can be wonderful. The downside of that would be taking the time to learn your software. Not all software available is user friendly, so be aware. I am not a big fan of web search engines because I spend more time sorting through the unwanted information than actually reviewing the articles. Google is great for basic information like definitions, web addresses, but finding peer reviewed articles or information that is actually peer reviewed is hard to find. Some alternative strategies for finding information would be to review journals that are credible and also perhaps going to the library and searching through the information they have available. I think back how much things have changed today compared to 15 years ago. Remember the card system at the library? Do they still use that or is it electronic? I remember having to search through cars to find book and now you just have to type in a key word or phrase and all the information is displayed instantly.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Module 2
Posted by michelletorgersen at 8:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment